- The first reason to cheat is to push a set beyond strict-rep failure.
- The second reason is to overload the targeted muscles with greater- than-usual resistance. Most exercises don’t lend themselves to safe cheating.
- Loosening your form works best with isolation exercises for small muscles: biceps, triceps, and deltoids.
CHEATING TIP SHEET
- Don’t cheat exercises for abs, legs, or chest.
- You can add some lower-back sway to back exercises, but be careful not to overdo it.
- You can loosen your form on dumbbell shrugs by bending your arms.
- Try pre-exhausting by following strict sets of one exercise with loose sets of another.
CHEATING BICEPS ROUTINE
- Standing Dumbbell Curl | SETS: 4 | STRICT REPS: 6-8 | CHEAT REPS: 2-4
- Preacher Curl | SETS: 3 | STRICT REPS: 8-10 | CHEAT REPS: –
- Cheat Barbell Curl | SETS: 3 | STRICT REPS: – | CHEAT REPS: 8-10